HOURS & CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
This is a regular, full-time, 12 months, non-exempt level position. Benefits-eligible.
The scheduled hours for this position are 9:00am–5:30pm; days as assigned, or P/T Thursday-Sunday 7:00am-1:00 pm. Overtime, holiday, weekend and evening hours will be required. Regular hours may vary due to the needs of the Garden.
PRIMARY PURPOSE/GENERAL DESCRIPTION:
Under general supervision, routine housekeeping and non-routine duties, participates in set-up and breakdown for special events, and moves furniture. Performs a variety of cleaning tasks requiring physical fitness, safe working practices, knowledge of cleaning chemicals, methods, procedures, and supplies and equipment. Maintains facilities in a clean, orderly and safe condition.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Cleans offices, classrooms, science facilities, labs, conference rooms, rest rooms; performs periodic and annual cleaning services/duties (including but not limited to replacing HVAC filters on a quarterly basis, maintaining and clearing roof drains and/or gutters).
- Cleans toilets, urinals, windows, and furnishings; cleans light fixtures; changes light bulbs; sweeps, vacuums. Dusts and polishes a variety of surfaces and washes walls. Cleans and disinfects a variety of surfaces.
- Scrubs and refinishes floors and/or carpets; refinishes hard, resilient and wood floors; operates mechanical floor cleaners, polishers, and carpet cleaning equipment.
- Disposes of trash and other debris in all locations of the Garden. Removes graffiti.
- Performs furniture set-up and breakdown for meetings and special events including positioning tables, chairs and other props as required.
- Moves furniture, such as desks, desk chairs, filing cabinets, and other furniture as required.
- Requests cleaning supplies and materials. Maintains well-stocked and organized supply closets and carts.
- Performs minor repairs, including minor plumbing, mechanical or electrical repairs, which may include replacing washers in simple basin faucets, replace light/lamp bulbs, fluorescent fixtures, or tighten door or window hinges, knobs and locks.
- Participates in emergency response activities. Responds to emergencies, including turning off water and gas and other appropriate actions.
- Locks up building and checks grounds for late visitors. Opens and closes front gate for garden events.
- Must wear a two-way radio or cell-phone during the performance of duties.
- Performs other essential duties and tasks specific to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
Individual must possess knowledge, skills and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Must possess knowledge of maintenance, use, safe operation, and repair of cleaning supplies, tools and equipment. Must have knowledge of cleaning chemicals. Must have knowledge of safe working methods and procedures.
- Requires ability to learn proper use of fire extinguishers.
- Must be able to stand, walk, bend, climb, push, pull, stoop, twist, stretch, lift up to 50 pounds, with team lift or with material handling equipment.
- Climb ladders up to twenty feet with assistance and up to ten feet unassisted, and be able to work on feet for prolonged periods of time.
- Must be able to effectively and efficiently clean and maintain an assigned area within a predetermined time schedule.
- Must be able to understand and carry out oral and written directions in the English language.
- Must be able to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Must have ability tosustain a high level of function and productivity without continuous supervision.
QUALIFICATION STANDARDS :
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or any combination of education, training or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and ability. Minimum of two years of paid employment experience in custodial or building maintenance assignments.
Position requires employee to work some weekends and special events as required by the Garden.
LICENSES / CERTIFICATES:
May require a valid U.S. driver’s license and maintain a driving record acceptable to the Gardens’ insurance carrier.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate.
Physical and Mental Requirements
Ability to maintain good concentration level while dealing with interruptions; attention to details with emphasis on accuracy; capable of giving, receiving, and analyzing information, formulating work plans, and articulating goals and action plans.
Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time. Reaching and extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction. Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than the whole hand(s), or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard. Communication skills using the spoken word. Ability to see within normal parameters. Ability to hear within normal parameters. Ability to bend and stoop, for example, to file. Ability to move about. Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds for short distances, for example to lift or move office supplies, files, books and packages.
Regular employment at the Garden is for no specified period of time; conditions and status of employment (hours, pay, title, duties, etc.) are subject to change at any time. Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden is an At-Will employer. Employees, and likewise the Garden, are free to end the employment relationship at any time, for any reason, with or without notice or cause, unless otherwise prohibited by law.
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the Garden will review this job description and make changes of business necessity